Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Time to Get Up and Go To Work

Every day starts with the same struggle to get out of bed in the morning to go to work.

I have my alarm set to go off at 7:00am. I keep my clock set 12 minutes fast to fool myself into thinking it is later than it really is. I don't know why I even bother because it's not like I ever forget that it's 12 minutes fast. Actually it worked for the first little while. I set the clock ahead some random number of minutes and left it. Since I didn't know how far ahead it was I had to act like it was the correct time, it only stopped working once I realized that the magic number was 12. At this point I'm afraid if I set it to the right time I might think it is still fast and end up 12 minutes late.

Anyway. I'm usually awake before 7:00 anticipating the alarm so that I can hit the snooze immediately. I don't know why but I think that if I hit the snooze fast enough I won't have to acknowledge the alarm.

At 7:09 I hit the snooze again. At this point I'm thinking that it is way too early and I start to think about calling in sick.

At 7:18 I start to wake up a little bit more and start twitching and convulsing in bed as I try to convince myself that I am too sick to go to work.

At 7:27 I hit the snooze again. I know that it is now 7:15. Having failed to convince myself, I give up any thought of calling in sick and haul my ass out of bed. As I trudge to the bathroom I vow that tonight I will get to bed as soon as the kids are in bed.

In the evening I stay up until after midnight and start the whole thing over again, until Friday arrives.

Oh well, only another 30 years or so to go!

No comments: