Wednesday, July 11, 2007

Small Things Amuse Small Minds

Yesterday I brought a pencil sharpener home from work. I was one of those mounting ones like they have in every school classroom in the world.

Judging by the kids amazement, you would have thought I invented the thing. I mounted it to the side of a book shelf and let the kids go to it. I can understand the awe of #3 because, to my knowledge, she has never seen one. But the other two were a little too excited about the fact that we had this amazing tool in our very own home. Had I known it was going to go over so well I would have saved it up for Christmas.

Needless to say there was a lot of pencil sharpening going on last night. #1 was even asking permission to sharpen pencils. I imagine by the end of the week every pencil in the house will be sharpened down to a little nub.

They actually thought that Jules would be equally impressed by this new pencil technology. When she got home from work all three of the kids had to run downstairs to show her the wonder of the new sharpening device. #1 even did a demonstration.

"Mom. Mom. Mom. Mom. Look at this . Mom. Look at this. See this pencil? See how it's not sharp? Look Mom. Look. See? It's not sharp." While the other two kids watch with bated breath, she then puts the pencil in the sharpener, gives it a couple of cranks and, TAH DAH, she pulls out the freshly shaved tip. "See? Now it's sharp."

WOW! A pencil sharpener that sharpens pencils! Everybody make some room! That trick was so mind blowing that I think Mom might have to sit down before she faints!

That's the reaction I'm sure they were all anticipating. Instead they got, "I know how a pencil sharpener works."

Apparently Mom had already seen that trick.

No comments: