Friday, July 06, 2007

Your Way, Right Away. But Not Today.

Last night we all went out to Burger King for supper. I think it was actually the first time all five of us have gone there since #3 was a baby so it was kind of a big deal.

We went in and got the kids seated in a nice big booth. Then Jules and I went and place our order. Being a picky eater Jules asked for her Angus Burger minus the onions and tomatoes and heavy pickles. No problem. The cashier was the only person we encountered that was able to perform her job properly. We paid and moved down the counter to where our tray was being assembled.

The first thing that the lady, who is about 50 years old, did was put the drink cups on our tray. Four of them. I waited a bit to see if she was going to catch her mistake but she didn't so I asked someone for the fifth cup. Not a big deal, it happens.

I then started to tune in to the circus that being performed in front of me. First the older lady put a whopper and a grilled chicken on our tray. We didn't order any Whoppers. The other girl caught this mistake and moved the Whopper to the tray of the guy who was in front of us. Next the older lady put a tray of Chicken Tenders on the tray of the guy in front of me. The other girl took it off that tray an put it on ours. Then the old lady put it back on the first guys tray again. It was like watching a game of 3 Card Monty, except with Chicken Tenders. Finally they actually read the bills and found that neither of us ordered the Tenders at which point they were returned to the heat rack.

It was at this time that I was thinking, "I'd better pay attention here."

They finished with the guy in front of me and he started to walk away. Then he stopped and looked into his Kid's Meal bag. Smart move. They screwed it up and gave him one of my Kid's Meals. They fixed the mistake and off he went. After a few more minutes they got my tray finished. Just before that the younger girl mumbled something to me about, "hold onto your receipt for the toy," and she walked away. I was like, "huh? what was that about my receipt and the toys?" The old lady explained that they ran out of Kids Meal toys and we could bring our receipts in tomorrow to get the toys. That's REAL convenient!

Whatever, at this point I just happy to have our food. I did look in the Kids Meals first to make sure they didn't screw it up and everything looked OK. Once I sat down at the table I found out that they had forgotten to give us the dipping sauces for the Chicken Tenders, so I had to go back up and get them. Somehow I just knew I was going to have to go back there for something.

The first thing Jules did with her burger was to open it up. And what did she find? Onions. Could they screw up anything else? Not only were there onions of the burger but the lettuce consisted of two or three quarter-sized pieces, probably no bigger than a couple of pickles. You could see on the wrapper where the person who made the burger marked it as no onion and no tomatoes. I guess they figured that once they marked it with the grease pencil, the onions would magically disappear from the burger. This tells me that not only was the front counter staff totally useless but the grill staff at the back were equally incompetent.

The only other thing that was wrong were the fries. I think someone triple salted them. They weren't seasoned they were coated, like a sugar covered donut. I could have filled up a salt shaker with what was left over.

This is the kind of thing I could understand if it was really busy, but it wasn't. There were only two other customers at the counter when our food was being prepared.

Just our luck, the first time we go to Burger King for dinner just happens to be Newbie staff night.

Ten thumbs down for BK.

No comments: