Monday, January 30, 2006

Once Upon a Time...We Had a Car Party!

This is the first in a series of posts that I will call "Once Upon a Time...". When you suck as bad as I do at coming up with fresh content on a regular basis, you sometimes need to dig out the odd gem from the "Vault of Experience". First off I want to say that I was not what you would call a model of responsiblity. I was a heavy drinker and I liked to experiment with all kinds of drugs. Combined this with a fairly high, disposable income and you get all sorts of trouble. So here it goes.

Once upon a time...

...we had a party in my car. In fact we used to have many parties in my car. This was at a time when most of my friends, myself included, were still living with our parents and therefore my car was more like a mobile hangout. The car parties started out simply enough. We used to hotbox* my car all the time. Originally we would park in out-of-the-way places, like near the river, "box" the car and then leave. Eventually we started bringing beer for the car parties, because all that hotboxing makes a person pretty thirsty. Then, we started having the parties in not-so-out-of-the-way places, like the University or parked on city streets. Until we'd achieved what would be our craziest car party ever.

This party occurred around Christmas of '92 or '93, I'm not entirely sure, like I said lots of drinking, lots of drugs. Anyway there were 4 of us: myself, muskyslayer, brobiz and DB's. We had a case of Labatt 50's and a bunch of chronic and all we knew was that we had to get it in us. The location of our bash turned out to be the Shoppers Mall here in town. At the time it was basically the only mall in town. That's right we were partying in my car, on a Saturday afternoon, in broad daylight, in the parking lot of the only mall in town, where I also worked, on one of the busiest shopping days of the year.

Did we at least park somewhere far away from the other shoppers? Hell No! I parked in the first available spot, right between two other cars. We passed out a round of beers and hit the pipe. We smoked and smoked and smoked. It must have looked pretty suspicious from the outside, four guys in a car full of smoke laughing their asses off. The windows became entirely fogged up so we passed some time by writing obsene and inappropriate symbols and words all over the windows for all the Christmas shoppers to see. We stayed in that same spot partying for at least an hour and a half. When it was all over I did the responsible thing. I wiped all the condensation off the windows with my coat sleeve, started the car up and drove away.

Looking back on it now, I have no idea how we ever got away with a stunt like that. If someone came up to me now and said, "Hey, guess what I did this weekend!" and proceeded to tell me that same story I would probably think that they were a fucking idiot.



*Hotbox(verb): to smoke marijuana in an enclosed space so that it becomes filled with smoke

No comments: